lightness + radicchio, carrot & cara cara orange bulgar salad

radicchio, carrot & cara cara orange bulgar salad // brooklyn supper
This is a strange week–we’ve been working as hard as ever, but there’s a lightness to things. Brian and I have been having fun after putting the girls to bed, drinking beers, typing away on our respective laptops, talking into the night, and making future plans. Even the baby’s recent decision to stop napping and our oldest coming home with a tiny fever haven’t dampened spirits in our drafty little apartment. Could it be the brighter days? The buds forming on the trees? The fluffy clouds hanging in the crisp February sky over the East River? Whatever it is, I’ll take it.

For an oddly cheery day, we have an oddly cheery lunch. This vivid and brightly flavored salad brings together the disparate flavors of sweet carrots, mild radicchio, crunchy tat soi, and Cara Cara oranges and marries them with a fresh ginger- and mustard-infused dressing that offers tiny bursts of spice. The bulgar quietly supports the whole messy thing, lending texture and nuttiness while also absorbing the sweet orange juice and mustardy dressing.

radicchio, carrot & cara cara orange bulgar salad // brooklyn supper

Radicchio, Carrot, and Cara Cara Orange Bulgar Salad

1″ segment of fresh ginger, peeled
1 small shallot, peeled
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons olive oil
sea salt as needed
1/2 cup dry bulgar
2 large carrots, washed and peeled
1 small head radicchio, washed and trimmed
2 cups tat soi leaves, or other robust greens, washed
2 Cara Cara oranges, or other sweet citrus

Mince the shallot and ginger. Scrape into a small bowl or jar. Add a pinch of sea salt, the mustard, and 2 tablespoons vinegar. Emulsify with a fork, and then slowly add the olive oil, continuing to whisk until nice and thick. I like this dressing better as it marinates a bit–that’s why I’ve listed it first.

Next, heat 1 cup of water over high heat. When boiling, add a big pinch of salt and 1/2 cup bulgar. Bring back to a boil, cover, and turn heat down to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove lid and fluff.

Use a peeler to slice the carrot into long ribbons. Slice the radicchio into thin strips.

Toss the bulgar, carrots, radicchio, and tat soi with the dressing. Zest one of the oranges, and toss it into the salad. Supreme the oranges, and just before serving, place them throughout the salad, drizzle with a bit more dressing and gently toss.

Comments

Fluffy clouds and more daylight always does it for me, too! This salad is gorgeous! Just looking at these photos is like taking a tropical vacation. I love Cara Cara oranges so much.

you had me at mustard. and all of those colors! it is so nice to see some lovely colors when there aren’t so many outside. or maybe they are today… i wouldn’t know, i haven’t any windows near me right now…

3. Amy C says

Wow, I can’t wait to try this salad. I need a winter pick-me-up and this seems to be just the right thing! Thank you Elizabeth.

4. Patrick says

This salad is designed for my family!!!! Thanks, your stuff always helps inspire us.
    (Bacon and avocado may be brought in to wreck shop, I know you would approve!)

5. natalie says

as a vegan, i hit the salad department year-round and am always looking for new inspiration and combinations…. thanks for providing!!!

6. Jan says

I was looking at this post at work and several coworkers commented on the amazing colors and how it just looks so fresh & healthy! Can’t wait to try it! (And you havd picked up some new fans here)

Elizabeth, yum! Yours is just the kind of bright citrusy salad I crave this time of year. Thank goodness nature has given us goodies like your gorgeous cara caras to bring some cheer in the middle of winter!
    Love your blog,
    Erin

I love to hear about happy married couples who still so thoroughly enjoy each others’ company! As the end of winter nears, I’m feeling frantic to get as much citrus possible while I still can. This salad is absolutely beautiful. Pinned it.

• says

Hi Kate! Thanks for saying that – I feel so lucky to have such a great husband, and it is really nice that we can still make each other laugh. And yes to citrus hoarding. It’s starting to dwindle here, but I’m hoping to squeeze in a batch of marmalade somewhere along the way. Thanks for the pin!

9. Kathy Hill says

This sounds wonderful, but one crucial question: How much mustard? It’s missing from the ingredients list. Thanks! Can’t wait to try it.

10. Kathy Hill says

Beautiful! I’d love to try this tonight. But one crucial question: How much mustard in the dressing? It’s missing from the ingredients list. Thanks!