big news and a classic apple cake

apple cake

apple cake

Brian and I have some big news to share–we’re expecting a new baby in July! So now you know why we’ve been a little quieter than usual. I’m really looking forward to a new baby, though the prospect of having two kids in our one bedroom apartment on the third floor of a slightly derelict building here in Brooklyn is daunting. On the other hand, I am dreaming of small fingers and toes, gurgles and gummy smiles, and know that somehow everything will be just fine. We’ll all be well-fed, that’s for sure.

And speaking of making a baby, it takes a lot of food. I have been trying to eat pretty healthily this time around, seeing as my daughter was made of about 25% ice cream, but the baked goods do beckon. Especially this apple cake. A friend brought it to Thanksgiving dinner years ago, and it’s been on my mind ever since.

Adapted from a classic New York Times recipes for Teddie’s apple cake circa 1973, this is a moist and tender cake, with a sweet, caramelized crust, and hints of molasses and spice. Big slices of apples and dried cherries round out the spicy, sweet, amazing flavor.

This is a great breakfast or snack cake, but do yourself a favor and have it with some ice cream too.

Spiced Apple Cake (adapted from The New York Times)

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 cups sucanat or sugar
3 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup quinoa flour
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups crisp, fresh apples peeled and sliced 1/4” thick
1 cup dried cherries, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a bundt pan and set aside.

Either in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a regular mixer, beat the oil and sugar together for 5 minutes, add the eggs and beat for 2 minutes more.

Meanwhile combine the flours, baking soda, salt, and spices in a medium bowl. With beater on medium speed, add the flour mixture into the batter. Add the vanilla, and then fold on the apples and cherries.

Spoon into the prepared bundt pan. Bake for 75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then carefully flip onto a platter. This cake is amazing still warm, but cuts sloppily, so let it cool if you can wait.

Comments

1. alex says

Do you think, since i lack bundt pans and the space to store more cookware, I could split this into two cake pans?

Hi Alex, I can totally relate–I actually purchased a bundt pan just to make this cake. And, I have no idea where I’m going to put it.
    Anyway, I think it would be great in 2 loaf pans. The cooking time will change a bit, my guess is it’s slightly longer? Just check it frequently.

Congratulations, what joyful news! I love the quinoa flour and whole wheat pastry flour in this apple cake. So much healthier than regular white flour and they add a nice wholesome flavor.

congrats! Just found your site through Naptime Chef sharing it with me on Stumble! Your cake looks delicious! Best wishes on your new little one!

@Cookin Canuck, Thank you–between this and the sauerkraut, my cravings should be covered!
    @Jeanette, I too am a huge fan of quinoa flour. I love the sweet flavor and slightly crumbly texture it has.
    @Aggie, So glad you found us! Big thanks to the Naptime Chef for passing the post along. And thank you kindly for the warm wishes. We’re super excited.

excellent news! this is just the kind of fuel the little one will thrive on , applecake! i am going to make it with fresh apples from our farm this fall and think of you and yours. xo

7. katy says

My mother was famous for this cake in our family.
    She all ways let the apples sit over night coated with cinnamon and sugar covered in the fridge. Also add pecans or walnuts.

8. Greg says

Just baked it with organic new season windfall apples from our orchard down here in New Zealand. This cake has turned out amazing, my new signature cake recipe for sure. Many thanks for sharing, I’m now looking through the rest of your recipes to decide what to try next.

9. Kathy Starr says

Fantastic cake, made it last night for super bowl dinner, our guests loved it! Substituted pureed pumpkin for the oil and goji berries for the cherries. Served it warm with vanilla bean gelato, delicious! Thank you!

10. Karen says

What kind of oil is best. I usually try to use olive oil in baking since it is so healthy but maybe coconut might be better?